Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I had a conversation with my daughter the other day in the car that I have dreamed about having and can't believe that I didn't pull the car over. Has this ever happened to you? Let me fill you in on the conversation;
We are driving down the road coming home from shopping and listening to "B-I-B-L-E" by GoFish on the radio. (if you have kids and like music listen to it. It is catchy and fun). Nancy then looks up in the middle of the song and asks "Momma do you have Jesus in your heart?" "What?" I replied while turning down the radio, "Do you have Jesus in your heart?"
"Yes I do" We continued listening to the song and then when it was over she asked me why. We continued down the road almost home talking about why we need Jesus in our heart and lives.
I got home and put the kids down for a nap thinking about the conversation and thought "Why didn't I pull the car over? I should have jumped all over that like there was no time to lose?" As I sat there beating myself up I began to realize that this was not to be the last of the conversations that we would be having about this subject, and that I needed to remember to always be available to share in those moments.
Where have your heart warming and life changing conversations happened with your children? I would love to hear.

2 comments:

  1. One day we pulled into our yard & the neighbor kid was sitting in his car fixing something. Josh asked, "Does he know Jesus? Is he going to heaven?"
    I said, "I don't know, I guess we'll just have to ask him." I was a bit unsure of how I'd do this and I was nervous, but we (Josh, Han & I) got out of the van & walked over to him & said "Hi. How are you doing?" I blurted out, "The kids want to know if you're a Christian."

    He (Eli) looked down sheepishly & said "Yes."

    I said, "Ya, the kids wanted to make sure you are going to heaven."

    Eli said, "Ya. I'm going to heaven."

    I had all kinds of thoughts, but I kept my mouth shut & we went into the house. The main thing was that we approached him and asked him. God did whatever He needed to do.

    I'm glad I followed up on Josh's question. I know I'd regret it today if I hadn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you were blogging again! I loved those conversations with my kids, and the questions they asked. They are so open to God's love and curious at that age.

    I just remember lots of questions. Every night we read a story out of a children's Bible (it had great, colorful pictures) and we'd talk about the story and then pray!

    ReplyDelete